The following information is derived from published data on vehicle registration and road transport fuel consumption across the UK.
Vehicle Registrations (2018): Department for Transport
- In 2018 there were a total of 287,000 registered vehicles in County Durham, up 9.5% from 2009. Across England the number of registered vehicles increased by 12.6%,
- Nearly half of these registered vehicles were diesel cars of vans (46.3%),
- The number of registered Ultra-low Emission Vehicles (ULEVs) in the county is low at around 700, representing just 0.25% of all registrations in County Durham. Across England this proportion is 0.55% of all registrations.
Road Transport Fuel Consumption (2017): Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (DBEIS)
- 30% of fuel consumption in County Durham is by petrol cars with diesel cars accounting for 29.7% of all fuel consumption in 2017. Across the North East these figures are 34.5% and 30% respectively,
- HGV’s account for 17.6% of fuel consumption compared to 13.2% across the North East,
- Busses account for 4.6% of fuel consumed in County Durham compared to 5.5% across the North East.