Substance Misuse is defined by the Mental Health Foundation as the continued misuse of any mind-altering substance that severely affects a person’s physical and mental health, social situation and responsibilities.
Factsheet: Substance Misuse (PDF, 909kb)
- The rate of hospital admissions for substance misuse for people aged 15-24 years in County Durham (98/100,000) is not statistically significantly higher than England (91/100,000). Over time, rates have been falling in County Durham compared to the rise experienced nationally.
- For the period 2014-2016 County Durham shows the 3rd lowest drug related death mortality rate of all 12 North East local authorities.
- Hospital admission rates per 100,000 with a primary diagnosis of drug-related mental health and behavioural disorders are similar in County Durham, the North East and England.
Links to data
- NHS Digital
- National Drug Treatment Monitoring System (NDTMS)
- Fingertips – Public Health England
- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- LG Inform: Substance Misuse (Search)
Public Health Profiles (Full Site):