Please see below the latest statistical information relating to Covid19 in County Durham.
- The summary section provides contextual information relating to the dashboard and our Covid 19 releases.
- The Covid19 surveillance dashboard displays statistics on cases of coronavirus and deaths associated with coronavirus in the County Durham and the North East.
- The shield population dashboard displays deprivation and rates per 100,000 of people in shielded and self registered populations.
- The further links sections provides additional information from a variety of sources.
Summary and Context
County Durham Key Facts
- Population of 527,000 (ONS 2018 Estimates)
- Around 1 in 5 are aged over 65 (This has increased by 54% since 1991) (ONS mid-year population estimates)
- People are living longer but in poorer health
- Average age at admission to long term care
- Nursing care: 83.7 years (no change over time)
- Residential care: 86.5 years (overall increase of over 3 years since 2004/05)
- Average length of stay in care setting
- Nursing care: 419 days (increase over time)
- Residential care: 519 days (reduction over time)
- A total of c. 3,000 individuals are supported by DCC in care home settings
Care Home Sector Summary
- In County Durham there are a large number of independent sector care homes (total 5,128 beds)
- In summary:
- 43 provide residential care,
- 2 provide nursing care,
- 51 provide both nursing and residential care
- 36 specialist residential care units
- In summary:
This dashboard is based PHE, NHS England and ONS statistical releases and is updated on a weekly basis. For more information please see slide 4 of the dashboard.
To maxmise this dashboard to full screen, please click on the 3 dots in the top right of the dashboard. This dashboard is updated weekly.
Coronavirus shielded patient list open data set, English Local Authorities
What this data shows
The dashboards provide a count of living patients that are classified as being on the Shielded Patient List.
The open data contains:
- A count of living patients that are classified as being on the Shielded Patient List by CCG of residence, broken down by age band and gender
- A count of living patients that are classified as being on the Shielded Patient List by local authority of residence, broken down by age band and gender
This data has been released to inform the public and support the health and social care system in planning.
The open dataset includes regional and local data to allow for analysis, modelling and planning to take place to aid the response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Full Dashboard for England: Dashboard for England (NHS Digital)
Shielded population information and dashboard – County Durham
A shielded population refers to people who are clinically extremely vulnerable and living at home, with or without additional support. This includes clinically extremely vulnerable people living in long-term care facilities for the elderly or people with special needs.
- The shielded population for County Durham is around 26,300 people ( NHS shielded population)
- Nearly 14,000 people have self-registered for support across the County.
- There is a social gradient between the most vulnerable and deprived areas of County Durham however this is not a strong relationship or correlation.
This dashboard in based on the self registered for support and NHS shielded populations. This will be updated regularly.